Current Address

Elder Jordan Carlson


Send emails to: urumontemission@gmail.com with ELDER JORDAN CARLSON as the subject line. The mission home will print the email and send it to Jordan.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Life at the CCM

Hey mom,

Things are going pretty good so far. The food isn't bad but its cafeteria style so its not that great. We had this french fry casserole thingy today which was actually really good. So far the worst has been the chilly stuff we had the first day. Anyway, I have realized while writing in my journal/emails. that my mind tends to wander. Its like A.D.D. for writing stuff, but it will try to stay on task, and i think i mentioned this but my mind is already being corrupted by Spanish, so my already bad spelling is about to get worse. Thank goodness for spell check.

Spanish is hard, its definitely going to be a challenge. When ever i think i´m doing good, one of the Latinos asks me a simple question, and i have no idea what he is say. It´s all very humbling, which is good i guess. haha. But honestly its hard to believe its been a whole week, but at the same time, It feels like its been forever. Its weird, i´m really excited to go proselyting on Saturday, but its going to be almost useless cause i don´t speak or understand near enough Spanish to do any good. haha. In classes they are trying to prepare us to go proselyting by making us memorize a bunch of stuff, and learn how to bear our testimonies. Basically we are going to go out on the street, ask some one how they are doing today? have no clue what they say back, and then bare my testimony to them! i´m excited because we get to go out somewhere in the city. Its crazy some of they guys have gotten really far with investigator just visiting them a few times and only on Saturdays, One companionship has a baptism date set for a investigator!

The thing that i don´t really like about the CCM, (Argentina MTC) is the days just blend together, kinda like working for APX because you don´t have anything to look forward to except leaving. On my mission i will be doing the same thing all day but i will have people that i am working with and progressing towards baptism which will make it a lot better. Its alright though because i am having a lot of good experiences while i have been here already.

For example,
One of the things the teachers have been stressing a lot since we have been here is the importance of having the spirit when you are teaching lessons to investigators, even if its just a fake investigator. One time we weren´t taking the role playing very seriously and we got chewed out by Hermano Zanzi, he is one of the teachers. Anyway, so we have all been working on that, and like the next day i was teaching with my companion to our fake investigator, and we had the spirit with us and the lesson went way smoother and you could feel the power of the spirit when we testified even though it was just a few memorized lines of Spanish!

Another cool thing about the CCM is that all of the ''North Americans'' (ha ha that's what they call us) are going to Uruguay Montevideo, except three of the guys are going to Montevideo west. its great because I'm getting to know these guys pretty well and I'm excited to see them and work with them later on in my mission! The Latino elders are only here for 3 weeks and they are all going to different Argentina missions, I have no clue where the Uruguayan Elders get trained but i hear i´m going to have mostly local companions once i get out there.

My district is made up of 8 of the 9 guys that flew out from Dallas with me. The 9th guy was from Louisiana but spoke perfect Spanish, so they paired him with the Latinos and he is only staying for 3 weeks as well.

My companion´s name is Elder Spilsbury, he is from Henderson, NV. He is a pretty cool guys and is picking up the language a lot faster than I am, side note, every single one of the guys in my district has had Spanish in high school or something for at least 2 years, except me. I took German. cool right? haha anyway, he is doing well with the language so hopefully our proselitismo wont be a waste. All the guys that have been here for 7 weeks always talk about the awesome candy they buy when they are out proselyting so that is fun, but i´m just looking forward to leaving this place for a while and full on practicing what they have taught us. We will see how it goes.

I can´t remember everything i wanted to tell you, but i feel like Ive done a fairly good job so far. oh some of they guys were saying that it takes like 3 or 4 days for a letter to get from me to home, and like 2 weeks for one to get from home to me? not sure why but we will have to see! I might have mentioned but they said large padded envelopes usually make through, so if you wanna send me something feel free! I like most candy.

And so you know, I´m only allowed to receive letters on Thursday, I can only write letters on Sunday and Thursday and emails only on Thursday

Love
Elder Carlson IV

No comments:

Post a Comment