Current Address

Elder Jordan Carlson


Send emails to: urumontemission@gmail.com with ELDER JORDAN CARLSON as the subject line. The mission home will print the email and send it to Jordan.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Edilio

My District



Family,
Sounds like things are going good, so let’s start in reverse order with the things you asked about....

Elder Bendtschneider -  I am so excited he’s going to be in my mission! About the question regarding scriptures… Yes they will give him Spanish scriptures, but yes he can bring his own if he wants. They give you a Spanish triple and a bible but they aren’t the highest quality, and it just kinda depends on what they have lying around.  For example, my district got nice leather BoMs, but they aren’t indexed, which is a little unfortunate.  And we got a really really cheap bible, the ones that cost like a dollar fifty at the distribution center.  So I actually ended up buying a nicer leather bible that is indexed. So if he already has a nice set of Spanish scriptures I would say to bring them and then use the set that he gets from the CCM to give to one of his converts later on in the mission.

iPod. Yes. Thank You! I was actually going to tell you to not use the white or black speakers we already have because I know they are really old.  So it sounds like you got fairly nice ones, which is good! That’s perfect what you did with the money too. The only other things I can think of for music is EFY music, and like I already asked, movie sound tracks are really good, because they don’t have any lyrics and they aren’t as boring as regular classical music. So please please please get a few of those for me,  Lord of the Rings, Avatar, and I heard Inception has a really good one too, and any other ones that you can find.  I have heard some newer Disney movies have really good sound tracks, like Tarzan is really good.
 Also there is a band I want Spencer to see if he could find it’s called "Explosions in the Sky" there aren’t any lyrics too and I’m pretty sure its very missionary appropriate so if you could have him find that and test it, if its not appropriate that’s fine, but I would really like it.  Mo Tab is a lot more boring than I remember.

Anyway. So Thanks for all the help and the support and all the Christmas Wishes!  - A quick shout out for everyone that I received a card, letter or something from recently:
-Thanks Grandma Roe!
-Thanks Phillips family for the Christmas card, it took a little while to get to me but I got it!
-Thanks Gillands for the Letter!
-Thanks Rachel for the Letter!
-Thanks Mom for the soup, haha we ate it on Sunday because our member cancelled on us.

Anyway, Down here in Uruguay. It feels a lot hotter than 86 or whatever you said. Maybe you are looking in the evenings or something. Plus the humidity kills us. We had a member tell us that it was supposed to get to 40 degrees c. on Sunday, That’s like 110, I don’t believe it,  but it was really hot that day.

So we have had a really good week, really busy but we have had a lot of awesome things happen. First off the Lord has been blessing us a lot with investigators, we have found a ton of people!

Olga and Alfredo are the closest to baptism and they are just straight gold. Olga told us the other day that she knows the Book of Mormon is true now from her study and prayers. It was awesome. They both came to church and Alfredo looked just like a member it was awesome.  They are both really excited to be baptized.

Oribe is a guy we found a little while back he is super super smart. For sure the smartest guy I have met in Uruguay, he has a crazy good memory, the missionaries taught him in 2004 way back before Preach my Gospel.  He remembers a lot about the church and still has his Book of Mormon and stuff.  We, after a lot of effort on our part, (long story) got him to come to church.  He is progressing amazingly because he started off with lots of concerns and doubts, but the Lord is just taking care of those for us.  For example, he has or I should say had a girlfriend and brought it up in the first lesson because he knows about the law of chasity,  but just this week he found out she is cheating on him so now the Lord has provided a  way for him to live this law!!! haha

We have so much more going on but I don’t have time, one funny story and then I have to go…

So I went on two companion exchanges this week both in my area, so my comp basically just left for the day and I got a new one, any way one was with elder Stilwell, and the other Elder Whitaker one of our ZLs. So I  was with Elder Whitaker and we were with this crazy old guy who is one of our investigators, named Edilio. He always rambles on about the weirdest stuff, and repeats himself a lot. Anyway,  E Whitaker was really tired because it was right after lunch and Edilio was just rambling on and we both weren’t really listening that intently, but then all of a sudden elder Whitaker looks at me and says "did you just understand what he said?" I said no because I wasn’t listening.   He turns to Edilio and says in Spanish "my friend didn’t understand what you just said so I’m going to explain it to him in English ok?"  Then elder Whitaker told me the story that Edilio just said of how he killed a guy 12 years ago with his little knife he had from lunch.  It was crazy, it was in self -defense. But I guess he went to prison for a little while for it.   This guy is 77 years old and when his was 65 he killed a 20 year old that was about to kill him with a two by four.  Weird things happen in Uruguay.

Anyway,  I Love you all!

More Pictures...

Our house
The countryside.

No comments:

Post a Comment